If an email message can not be delivered because the address is invalid, a Non-Delivery Report/Receipt (NDR) is sent to the sender. This is also known as a 'Bounce Message', and old or inactive email addresses in contacts can lead to high bounce rates in email campaigns. Because high bounce rates are associated with fraudulent activity, it is crucial that you ensure your lists are comprised of valid email addresses.
Using DirectIQ's list cleaning service, marketers can verify the addresses in their lists before uploading them for use in a campaign. Upload a list in text (TXT) or Microsoft Excel (XLS) format to see what percentage of contacts are estimated to bounce, with an option to purge those contacts prior to uploading them.
- In the Contact Lists tab, click Cleaning.
- In the List Cleaning page, click Upload Files.
- Select the desired email list on your computer. A brief progress box will appear before completing and loading the next step.
- In the pop-up, match the columns to the data they contain using the column drop-down menus marked Please select at the top and a random selection of rows from your list as reference.
- Default selections available for your primary columns are Email, First Name, Last Name, Gender, Birth Date, and City.
- To create a new field name for the column, click the column menu and select Add New Field. In the Name your new field window, enter the new name and click Add.
- To specify columns that should not be included in the final list by clicking the column menu and select Ignore This Field.
- Click Continue.
- After processing, a list row will appear in the page with your Bounce Estimate and Email Count, with the option to Start or Delete.
- Start: If you want to purge the suspect email addresses, click Start and a List Cleaning Payment window will appear with the number of contacts and the cost of cleaning. Click Start Cleaning.
- Delete: If the Bounce Estimate is too high, you can delete the list altogether by clicking Delete.